|Mt. Marty 8-7||10||10||12||13||45|
|Mt. Vernon Naz. 6-9||11||26||12||19||68|
|Dec. 28, 2016|
|Mt. Marty||Indv. Leaders||Mt. Vernon Naz.|
|#02 Ali Kuca - 11||Points||#22 Sierra Basista - 19|
|#33 Sammy Kasowski - 13||Rebounds||#50 Megan Beidelman - 18|
|#25 Kellie Winckler - 2||Assists||2 Players (#10,#22) - 3|
|Mt. Marty||Team Statistics||Mt. Vernon Naz.|
|32.7% (16 - 49)||Field Goals %||42.1% (24 - 57)|
|33.3% (8 - 24)||3 Point Field Goals %||50% (9 - 18)|
|50% (5 - 10)||Free Throws||73.3% (11 - 15)|
|6||2nd Chance Pts||6|
PHOENIX – The Mount Vernon Nazarene University women's basketball team returned to action with a win over Mount Marty College (S.D.) Wednesday night in the ACU Holiday Classic hosted by Arizona Christian University.
- Final Score: MVNU 68, MMC 45
- Records: MVNU 6-9, MMC 8-7
- Sierra Basista – 19 points, 3 assists
- Rachel Parks – 12 points, 3 assists
- Megan Beidelman – 18 rebounds
- Natalie Carpenter – 11 points
- Natalie Thomas – 10 points
- The two teams played a back-and-forth first quarter before MVNU took the lead on a Megan Beidelman free throw and never looked back, leading by as many as 24 points in the final period.
- The Lady Cougars held Mount Marty to just 33 percent shooting from the field while forcing 16 Lancer turnovers.
POSTGAME WITH COACH SHORT
"We played a complete 40 minutes of basketball. We shut them down with our defense, holding them almost 20 points below their team average. We also limited their rebounds which was huge because that is a big strength of theirs. Parks and Carpenter had the responsibility to guard their top guard and they did a great job and shut her down, which was huge for our success. We had an all-around great team effort and were able to knock off a great team. We are ready to get back at it again!"
NEXT FOR THE LADY COUGARS
MVNU will just have time to catch their breath before returning to action Thursday night in their final game at the ACU Holiday Classic, squaring off against Benedictine University at Mesa. The game is scheduled for a 7:00 p.m. EST tip.