|Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh||47||45||92|
|Jan. 3, 2017|
|Mount Vernon, OH|
|Indiana Wesleyan||Indv. Leaders||Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh|
|2 Players (#23,#34) - 22||Points||#20 Brett Vipperman - 20|
|#23 Lane Mahurin - 11||Rebounds||#12 Trey McBride - 8|
|#52 Grant Zawadzki - 6||Assists||#21 Josh Ashwill - 4|
|Indiana Wesleyan||Team Statistics||Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh|
|45.8% (27 - 59)||Field Goals %||45.9% (28 - 61)|
|22.2% (4 - 18)||3 Point Field Goals %||36.8% (7 - 19)|
|75.9% (22 - 29)||Free Throws||80.6% (29 - 36)|
|12||2nd Chance Pts||14|
MOUNT VERNON, Ohio – The Mount Vernon Nazarene University men's basketball team cruised past #3 Indiana Wesleyan University 92-80 to open up Crossroads League play in 2017.
· Final Score: MVNU 92, IWU 80
· Records: MVNU 14-3 (3-2), IWU 14-3 (4-1)
· Brett Vipperman (SO/Mansfield, OH)- 20 points, 6 rebounds
· Deontae Cole (SR/Toledo, OH)- 16 points, 6 rebounds
· Trey McBride (FR/Cincinnati, OH)- 15 points, 8 rebounds
· Jacob Paul (FR/Canton, OH)- 14 points, 2 rebounds
· Pat Lucas- 10 points (5/6 FG), 7 rebounds (5 offensive)
· Josh Ashwill (SR/Dublin OH)- 8 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists
· The Indiana Wesleyan Wildcats got out to a hot start, connecting on 4 straight possessions to push their lead to 10-2 early in the first half.
· The Cougars would begin to climb back, slowly chipping into the Wildcats' lead. At the 3:26 mark, the Cougars would take the lead 38-37 from a Deontae Cole putback.
· MVNU continued to push to finish out the first half of play, going on a 9-2 run to close the half with Trey McBride scoring seven points in the push.
· The Wildcats would look to create momentum in the second half of play, closing the Cougars' lead to 51-46.
· Starting at the 14 minute mark, the Cougars would begin taking control with a 25-10 run sparked by a Jacob Paul 3-pointer to push the Cougars' lead to 79-58.
· MVNU would weather IWU's comeback attempt in the last 5 minutes of play, finishing the contest 92-80.
· The Cougars tallied a season high 18 offensive rebounds in the contest and outrebounded the Wildcats 43-27.
· IWU had strong performances by Lane Mahurin (22 points, 11 rebounds), Bob Peters (22 points), and Jacob Johnson (19 points, 5 rebounds).
POSTGAME WITH COACH RONAI
"Incredibly proud of our men tonight. They were locked into our defensive game plan for 40 minutes. We defended, rebounded at a high level, and got out in transition. I have so much respect for Indiana Wesleyan and their program and the way they play the game. I'm just so proud of our effort tonight. Time to get better tomorrow."
NEXT FOR THE COUGARS
MVNU will be on the road, traveling to #2 University of Saint Francis on Saturday, January 7. Tip off is set for 3:00 pm.