|Mount Vernon Nazarene 16-5, 5-4||36||42||78|
|Marian 10-11, 1-8||38||31||69|
|Jan. 17, 2017|
|Mount Vernon Nazarene||Indv. Leaders||Marian|
|#20 Brett Vippermann - 22||Points||#04 Wesley Stowers - 22|
|#20 Brett Vippermann - 9||Rebounds||#23 Andrew Jordan - 8|
|#21 Josh Ashwill - 7||Assists||2 Players (#04,#22) - 2|
|Mount Vernon Nazarene||Team Statistics||Marian|
|47.6% (30 - 63)||Field Goals %||45.2% (28 - 62)|
|40.9% (9 - 22)||3 Point Field Goals %||31.3% (5 - 16)|
|81.8% (9 - 11)||Free Throws||72.7% (8 - 11)|
|13||2nd Chance Pts||13|
INDIANAPOLIS, IN – The Mount Vernon Nazarene University men's basketball team defeated Marian University 78-69 in Crossroads League play Tuesday night.
· Final Score: MVNU 78, Marian 69
· Records: MVNU 16-5 (5-4), Marian 10-11 (1-8)
· Brett Vipperman (SO/Mansfield, OH)- 22 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists
· Trey McBride (FR/Cincinnati, OH)- 20 points, 6 rebounds (4 offensive)
· Josh Ashwill (SR/Dublin OH)- 12 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists
· Patrick Lucas (SR/Madison, VA)- 8 points (4-5 FG)
· Jacob Paul (FR/Canton, OH)- 7 points, 3 steals
· Marian began the contest hot on their home floor, knocking down their first four field goal attempts.
· The Knights continued to push their early lead, taking their largest lead of the half at the 10:52 mark 24-12.
· MVNU would begin to turn things around, piling together a 17-5 run over the next five minutes of play, highlighted by a monster dunk by Trey McBride, to tie the game 29-29.
· Marian would conclude the first half up on the Cougars 38-36
· Defense would be the key for the Cougars in the second half, holding the Knights to just 29.6% shooting in the first 16 minutes of the second half.
· MVNU began to pull away at the 9:54 minute mark, sparked by a Jacob Paul trey, to start an 11-0 run to give the Cougars the cushion they needed to finish the contest.
· The Cougars would shoot 50% from the floor and 54% from behind the arc in the final 20 minutes, while out rebounding the Knights 36-33.
· Marian had strong performances from Wesley Stowers (22 points, 6 rebounds) and Andrew Jordan (12 points, 8 rebounds)
POSTGAME WITH COACH RONAI
"Really tough, gritty road win tonight. Marian is a difficult team to defend with one of the best scorers in the country. We came out sluggish but really locked in for the final 30 minutes on the defensive end. Proud of our effort. Time to get better tomorrow."
NEXT FOR THE COUGARS
MVNU will be on the road again this Saturday for double-header action with the women's team at Huntington University. The Lady Cougars are scheduled to tip at 1:00 while the men are to follow at 3:00pm.