|Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh||30||32||62|
|Feb. 4, 2017|
|Mount Vernon, OH|
|Taylor (Ind.)||Indv. Leaders||Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh|
|#21 Evan Crowe - 15||Points||#21 Josh Ashwill - 27|
|#15 Mason Degenkolb - 8||Rebounds||#21 Josh Ashwill - 13|
|2 Players (#11,#15) - 3||Assists||#10 Jacob Paul - 3|
|Taylor (Ind.)||Team Statistics||Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh|
|26.7% (16 - 60)||Field Goals %||34.5% (19 - 55)|
|25% (5 - 20)||3 Point Field Goals %||26.1% (6 - 23)|
|80% (16 - 20)||Free Throws||72% (18 - 25)|
|13||2nd Chance Pts||4|
MOUNT VERNON, Ohio – The Mount Vernon Nazarene University men's basketball team won a hard fought battle 62-53 against #16 Taylor University Saturday afternoon. Josh Ashwill (SR/Dublin OH) helped the Cougars to their 18th win of the season with his career night of 27 points and 13 rebounds.
· Final Score: MVNU 62, (16) TU 53
· Records: MVNU 18-8 (7-7), (16) TU 17-9 (8-6)
· Josh Ashwill- 27 points, 13 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks
· Joey Schmitz (JR/Carroll, OH)- 13 points (4-6 3PT)
· Trey McBride (FR/Cincinnati, OH)- 7 points, 3 rebounds
· Jeremiah Roberts (SO/Toledo, OH)- 6 points, 3 rebounds
· The Cougars and Trojans were back and forth in the first four minutes of play, until the Cougars were sparked by a Joey Schmitz 4-point play, setting off a 12-3 MVNU run.
· The Cougars were able to hold on to the lead going into halftime, 30-20. TU was held to 26% shooting from the floor.
· The Cougar defense would continue to prevail in the second half, as Taylor would begin the half only making one of their first eight attempts. The Cougars would take advantage of their defensive efforts and stretch their lead to 41-24 from a Jeremiah Roberts 3-pointer.
· Nationally ranked Taylor was not going to back down. The Trojans would create a 19-4 run in the middle of the half to pull the game within 2 points.
· The Cougars would respond at the 7-minute mark with five straight points from Josh Ashwill, including an and-1 bucket to put the cougars up 50-44.
· A couple minutes later, Ashwill would seal the game for the Cougars with six straight free throws. Ashwill would finish the contest with a career high 27 points and also a career high 13 rebounds.
· MVNU finished shooting 34.5% shooting, while holding the Trojans to just 26.7% shooting from the field for the game. Taylor would be held to their lowest points total this season. TU would edge the Cougars in the rebounding battle 43-40.
· Taylor would have strong performances from Evan Crowe (15 points, 7 rebounds) and Mason Degenkolb (8 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists).
POST GAME WITH COACH RONAI
"Really proud of our defensive effort today. To hold a top 20 team to 26% percent shooting for the game is incredible. We needed that defensive focus because we weren't very good on the offensive end. Give credit to Taylor for guarding well and fighting their way back in to the game. We're looking forward to getting better on Monday and preparing for another challenging week in the Crossroads League."
NEXT FOR THE COUGARS
MVNU will be back in Ariel Arena Tuesday evening, hosting Goshen College in Crossroads League action. Tip off is set for 7:00pm.