|Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh||15||19||16||13||63|
|Feb. 8, 2017|
|Mount Vernon, OH|
|Goshen (Ind.)||Indv. Leaders||Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh|
|#34 Gabby Williams - 12||Points||#22 Sierra Basista - 16|
|#34 Gabby Williams - 8||Rebounds||#50 Megan Beidelman - 9|
|#10 Haley Archibeque - 6||Assists||#12 Dani Ellerbrock - 6|
|Goshen (Ind.)||Team Statistics||Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh|
|34.5% (19 - 55)||Field Goals %||42.6% (23 - 54)|
|25% (5 - 20)||3 Point Field Goals %||40% (8 - 20)|
|57.1% (4 - 7)||Free Throws||90% (9 - 10)|
|2||2nd Chance Pts||0|
MOUNT VERNON, Ohio – The Mount Vernon Nazarene University women's basketball team downed the visiting Goshen College Maple Leafs Wednesday night in Ariel Arena. The victory gives the Lady Cougars back-to-back wins as they continue to fight for a spot in the Crossroads League tournament with just three games remaining in the regular season.
- Final Score: MVNU 63 | GC 47
- Records: MVNU 11-16 (5-10) | GC 13-14 (7-8)
- Sierra Basista – 16 points, 2 steals
- Megan Beidelman – 15 points, 9 rebounds, 4 blocks
- Natalie Carpenter – 14 points, 2 steals
- Dani Ellerbrock – 6 assists, 8 points
- Goshen got off to a strong start, opening up a seven-point lead in the first period. MVNU responded on both ends of the court, going on an 8-0 run over the final four minutes of the quarter to take a 15-14 lead.
- Goshen opened the quarter strong again, putting together a 6-2 run of their own in the opening minutes of the second period to regain the lead.
- A three from freshman Dani Ellerbrock would tie things up with 6:06 remaining in the second and the MVNU offense would continue roll, netting 14 points to Goshen's six and building a 34-26 lead going into halftime.
- It was all MVNU in the third quarter as the Lady Cougar defense held Goshen to just six points on 3 of 19 shooting from the field. Senior Megan Beidelman fueled the defense with three of her career-high four blocks coming in the third.
- Junior Sierra Basista scored 10 of her 16 points in the third quarter while junior Natalie Carpenter added six points in the period.
- The Lady Cougars would lead by as many as 25 points in the fourth before a final comeback run by the Maple Leafs chipped the lead to 14. A pair of free throws from sophomore Rachel Parks would give MVNU the 63-47 victory.
- Gabby Williams led Goshen with 12 points and eight rebounds.
POSTGAME WITH COACH SHORT
"We definitely had a lot of motivation coming in with the standings and we knew this game was going to be huge for us. Our defense was so good, holding them to 47 points, and that was huge to shut them down in that way. Coming out in the third quarter and hitting those two baskets gave us gave us a lot of confidence to finish strong."
NEXT FOR THE LADY COUGARS
MVNU travels to Mishawaka, Ind. to face Bethel College Saturday at 1 p.m. The game will be the first half of a Crossroads League double-header, with the men's game following at 3 p.m.