|Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh||42||42||84|
|Feb. 11, 2017|
|Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh||Indv. Leaders||Bethel (Ind.)|
|#20 Brett Vipperman - 24||Points||#32 Nick Kindig - 21|
|#21 Josh Ashwill - 9||Rebounds||#43 Paul Forman - 10|
|#21 Josh Ashwill - 4||Assists||#10 Caleb Oetjen - 3|
|Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh||Team Statistics||Bethel (Ind.)|
|40.8% (31 - 76)||Field Goals %||55.2% (32 - 58)|
|31% (9 - 29)||3 Point Field Goals %||46.7% (7 - 15)|
|61.9% (13 - 21)||Free Throws||82.8% (24 - 29)|
|9||2nd Chance Pts||12|
MISHAWAKA, IN – The Mount Vernon Nazarene University men's basketball team fell on the road to #3 Bethel College Saturday afternoon in the second half of a Crossroads League double header event.
· Final Score: MVNU 84, Bethel 95
· Records: MVNU 19-9 (8-8), Bethel 25-3 (15-1)
· Brett Vipperman (SO/Mansfield, OH)- 24 points, 2 steals
· Josh Ashwill (SR/Dublin OH)- 20 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals
· Deontae Cole (SR/Toledo, OH)- 19 points, 6 rebounds
· Trey McBride (FR/Cincinnati, OH)- 7 points, 3 steals
· The first twenty minutes of play between the Cougars and nationally ranked Pilots was a brutal battle that consisted of four lead changes and eight ties. The largest lead of the half was only five points in Bethel's favor just four minutes into the contest.
· The Cougars would catch fire from the perimeter halfway through the first half, knocking down 5 of 7 attempts over a span of eight minutes. Four Cougars contributed to the outside success, as MVNU would take the lead three times within the span.
· Bethel would find a way to connect on 53% of their attempts in the first twenty minutes to keep the Cougars on their heels, but Josh Ashwill would connect on a trey with 17 seconds left to tie the contest going into halftime.
· The Cougars started the second half of play off with a bucket from Brett Vipperman, as the Cougars would take the lead early.
· The Pilots would respond, taking a five-point lead at the 14-minute mark. The Cougars refused to go away, shrinking the lead to just one, 59-60 with a Deontae Cole trey.
· The nationally ranked Pilots would take off from that point, stretching their lead to double digits over the next nine minutes of play.
· The Cougars refused to go away, fighting until the buzzer sounded, outscoring the Pilots by five in the last minute of play.
· MVNU tallied 11 steals in the contest, the fifth time this season the Cougars have recorded double digits in the steals column. The Cougars scored 17 points off turnovers as Vipperman's game high 24 points in the contest would tie his career high.
· Bethel would have strong performances from Nick Kindig (21 points, 4 rebounds) and Clay Yeo (20 points, 6 rebounds).
NEXT FOR THE COUGARS
MVNU will be on the road again this Tuesday evening, traveling to #9 Indiana Wesleyan University in another Crossroads League matchup. Tip off is set for 7:00pm.