|Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh 19-10, 8-9 CL||35||45||80|
|Indiana Wesleyan 23-6, 13-4 CL||40||44||84|
|Feb. 14, 2017|
|Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh||Indv. Leaders||Indiana Wesleyan|
|#20 Brett Vipperman - 19||Points||#44 Jacob Johnson - 23|
|#21 Josh Ashwill - 12||Rebounds||2 Players (#23,#44) - 7|
|#2 Joey Schmitz - 5||Assists||#23 Lane Mahurin - 5|
|Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh||Team Statistics||Indiana Wesleyan|
|52.6% (30 - 57)||Field Goals %||57.1% (28 - 49)|
|48.1% (13 - 27)||3 Point Field Goals %||50% (5 - 10)|
|58.3% (7 - 12)||Free Throws||74.2% (23 - 31)|
|6||2nd Chance Pts||3|
MARIAN, IN – The Mount Vernon Nazarene University men's basketball team lost to #9 Indiana Wesleyan 80-84 in a tough Crossroads League battle Tuesday evening.
· Final Score: MVNU 80, #9 IWU 84
· Records: MVNU 19-10 (8-9), #9 IWU 23-6 (13-4)
· Brett Vipperman (SO/Mansfield, OH)- 19 points, 3 assists
· Jacob Paul (FR/Canton, OH)- 17 points, 2 rebounds
· Deontae Cole (SR/Toledo, OH)- 16 points, 2 rebounds
· Josh Ashwill (SR/Dublin OH)- 14 points, 12 rebounds
· The nationally ranked host Indiana Wesleyan scored the first four points on their home floor to start the contest.
· The Cougars would fight their way out of the early hole, taking their first lead of the game at the 9:53 mark with a Deontae Cole trey.
· The Wildcats would create a run on their to take a double-digit lead with five minutes to go in the first half.
· The Cougars would refuse to back down, putting together a run of their own. MVNU would outscore IWU 11-4 from the 5-minute mark to the 1:41 mark, Then, Jacob Paul would score the last five points for the Cougars all within the last 38 seconds going into halftime as the Wildcats would hold a 40-35 advantage.
· IWU would maintain their two-possession lead for the first part of the second half, and then the Cougars would look to make their move. A Brett Vipperman free throw cut the Cougars deficit to two, then Jacob Paul would give MVNU their first lead of the second half with a 3-pointer from the deep corner.
· The game was neck and neck for the next seven minutes. With 32 seconds left, Vipperman would bucket a jumper to pull the cougars within one, 80-81.
· A pair of free throws gave IWU an 83-80 lead, as the cougars would come up short on two 3-point attempts as time expired.
· MVNU shot 52.6% from the floor and 48.1% from three. The Cougars also edged the Wildcats in the rebounding battle, 28-26.
· IWU would have strong performances from Jacob Johnson (23 points, 7 rebounds) and Lane Mahurin (20 points, 7 rebounds).
NEXT FOR THE COUGARS
MVNU will host Huntington University this Saturday afternoon in Crossroads League double-header action with the Lady Cougars. This will be the last regular season game and also Senior Night for the Cougars. Tip off is set for 3:00 pm following the women's game at 1:00pm.