|Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh||38||40||78|
|Feb. 18, 2017|
|Mount Vernon, OH|
|Huntington (Ind.)||Indv. Leaders||Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh|
|#45 Daniel Woll - 27||Points||#23 Deontae Cole - 24|
|#10 Mike Bush - 8||Rebounds||#44 Emmett Fraley - 7|
|#10 Mike Bush - 10||Assists||#21 Josh Ashwill - 6|
|Huntington (Ind.)||Team Statistics||Mount Vernon Nazarene (Oh|
|64.4% (38 - 59)||Field Goals %||42.4% (28 - 66)|
|33.3% (5 - 15)||3 Point Field Goals %||29% (9 - 31)|
|100% (7 - 7)||Free Throws||92.9% (13 - 14)|
|3||2nd Chance Pts||4|
MOUNT VERNON, Ohio – The Mount Vernon Nazarene University men's basketball team fell to Huntington University on Saturday afternoon, 78-88, in the last regular season contest of the 2016-17 season.
· Final Score: MVNU 78, HU 88
· Records: MVNU 19-11 (8-10), HU 16-14 (7-11)
· Deontae Cole (SR/Toledo, OH)- 24 points, 2 rebounds
· Joey Schmitz (JR/Carroll, OH)- 19 points, 2 assists, 2 steals
· Josh Ashwill (SR/Dublin OH)- 12 points, 3 rebounds, 6 assists
· Brett Vipperman (SO/Mansfield, OH)- 9 points, 3 assists
· Emmett Fraley (SO/Battle Creek, MI)- 8 points, 7 rebounds
· Five minutes before the opening tip, the Cougars' three seniors, Josh Ashwill, Deontae Cole, and Patrick Lucas (SR/Madison, VA) were recognized for their efforts and commitment to the MVNU basketball program.
· The Foresters would get off to a hot start against the Cougars, taking an early 24-12 lead eight minutes into the contest.
· MVNU would compile a 7-2 run to cut into Huntington's deficit. Josh Ashwill contributed five of the seven points in that stretch.
· The Foresters would go into the intermission with a 49-38 lead after finishing the half shooting 67% from the floor.
· MVNU would again climb into the Foresters' lead in the second half, pulling together a 9-2 run that put the Cougars down 57-61 with 12:35 to play.
· Huntington refused to back down, pushing their lead back to three possessions over the next six minutes of play.
· The Cougars would look to make a late run, but the Foresters would hold out, finishing up 88-78.
· Deontae Cole would finish the game with his career high of 24 points on 8-12 shooting including 4-7 from behind the arc and 4-4 from the free throw line.
· MVNU shot 42.4% from the floor and 92.9% from the charity stripe in the contest. The Cougars edged the Foresters in bench points, 27-15.
· Huntington would have strong performances from Mike Bush (18 points, 8 rebounds, 10 assists) and Daniel Woll (27 points, 3 rebounds).
NEXT FOR THE COUGARS
MVNU will be on the road for the first round of the Crossroads League Conference Tournament, taking visit to the University of Saint Francis on Wednesday evening, February 22nd. Tip off is set for 7:00pm and can be listened to live at WNZR.fm.