|Spring Arbor (Mich.) (21-30)||1||1||0||0||0||0||1||0||0||3||6||1|
|Mount Vernon Nazarene Uni (33-22)||0||0||0||0||0||3||0||2||0||5||9||1|
|Mount Vernon, OH|
|Spring Arbor (Mich.)||Pitching||Mount Vernon Nazarene Uni|
|Spring Arbor (Mich.)||Indv. Stats||Mount Vernon Nazarene Uni|
|None||Doubles||2 Players (#18,#22)|
|None||Triples||#7 Saal, Aaron|
MOUNT VERNON, Ohio – The Mount Vernon Nazarene University baseball team opened the Crossroads League Tournament with a win over Spring Arbor University Saturday afternoon at Cougar Field.
- Game Score: MVNU 5 | SAU 3
- Records: MVNU 33-22 | SAU 21-30
- Location: Cougar Field | Mount Vernon Nazarene University | Mount Vernon, Ohio
- Spring Arbor held an early 2-0 lead after plating a run in each of the first two innings.
- Both teams would be held scoreless for the next three innings before MVNU got on the board in the 6th with three runs on four hits, taking a 3-2 lead.
- SAU got a run back in the top of the 7th after Chris Triplett led off with a single and came around to score, tying the game at 3-3.
- Jaime Montero opened the bottom of the 8th with a double that was followed by an Aaron Saal triple, giving MVNU a 4-3 edge. Yanni Patten's single scored Saal, providing an extra insurance run for MVNU.
- Those two runs would prove to be plenty as Payton Booth and the MVNU defense held SAU scoreless in the top of the 9th, despite SAU putting runners on the corners.
- Aaron Saal: 3-for-4, 3B, 2 R, 2 RBI
- Yanni Patten: 2-for-4, 2 RBI
- Trenton Wood: GS, W, 8.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (2 ER), 4 BB, 5 K
- Payton Booth: S, 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 BB
NEXT FOR THE COUGARS
MVNU will travel to Huntington University Monday to continue CL Tournament play, facing the Foresters at noon. Complete tournament results and coverage can be found at the Crossroads League Tournament Championship Central page.